Ridgebackchat Forum Index Ridgebackchat
The on-line community for all us owners, enthusiasts and new comers to Rhodesian Ridgebacks.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crotch sniffer, butt gooser...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tracey & Lucy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Crotch sniffer, butt gooser... Reply with quote

I am beginning to wonder if Lucy has some sort of crotch sniffing, butt goosing fixation. Those who know Lucy, know what to expect but this weekend I had some friends over and I think the sight of this big hound aiming herself right at the crotch - made them a bit weary!

Seriously though, any other Ridgeback owners have the same "issue"?
Garry + Obi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep
mine does it all the time. men and woman doesnt matter has to push the nose in for a good sniff. i have read but unable to find it at the moment it has something to do with a gland they have under there tail which is similar to that of a wolf. not sure why that means they have to go around sniffing crotches....
Jesse & Riddick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: It's a dog thing Reply with quote

Dogs recognize people and other dogs first and foremost by smell, you can discourage it but never with force, No, Off or Leave it will do just fine. Mine does it all the time, usually to men's butts and women's crotches. Somethings are better left unexplained I think.
Jess+Akilah & Nanji

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: RRs sniffing "down there" Reply with quote

yep, a classical RR move! Especially if the women are menstrating. Its gross, but this is simply natural and good manners in the dog world, upon sniffing your (*ahem*) lower regions, they gain access to your status (whether you are the dominant or submissive person in your household) your address(smells surrounding your house) where you've been, ect.
Sonia & DJ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Crotch sniffer, butt gooser... Reply with quote

Tracey & Lucy wrote:
...this weekend I had some friends over and I think the sight of this big hound aiming herself right at the crotch - made them a bit weary!

Seriously though, any other Ridgeback owners have the same "issue"?

DJ’s been known to propel our more dog-friendly visitors across the hall floor with his head shoved between their legs by way of greeting!! Embarassed
Usually, as long as visitors don’t mind, DJ’s allowed a quick sniff so he can ID them and settle down. With (understandably) less tolerant visitors he's told to “leave”.

As Jess says I understand that they use the crotch/butt scent of an individual (be it a person or another dog) to get certain information and then file it away as a future identity reference. I didn’t know they could determine (human or dog) status within the pack from scent though…how does that work?

I guess the crotch/butt area is the easiest and safest “fragrant” area on a dog or person to reach but I can’t help wondering if they could reach our underarms or mouths as easily would they try to sniff these areas instead? Laughing
Shody & Leonidas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dog also is a big fan of the crotch/butt sniff. I always say "sorry, it is good dog manners" as I drag him away. Sometimes leave it or no will work, sometimes nothing will stop him from getting that sniff....

And beware walking around the house in a nighty.......

My Babies - Leonidas & Meile
www.pbase.com/shody
Jess+Akilah & Nanji

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shody & Leonidas wrote:
My dog also is a big fan of the crotch/butt sniff. I always say "sorry, it is good dog manners" as I drag him away. Sometimes leave it or no will work, sometimes nothing will stop him from getting that sniff....

And beware walking around the house in a nighty.......

LOL! Or a long tee-shirt, skirt, dress!
Fi&Katowaggytail

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, new here and just looking about... reading different threads..... Yes definately a RR thing - some can be quite forceful, I have ended up on my face before now... I was tying my laces! Rolling Eyes and the first time we met Kato was at the kennerls and he pushed my 16 year old over with a nose push as she was bending over into her handbag! ...... That sold him for us! Laughing
jenna and NatNat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Natalie's mother was a definite crotch-hound. We didn't know her long, but she made herself quite distinctive in that area! Natalie on the other hand tends to try to inhale the essence of everyone's last meal from the top end. No less irritating to visitors- big dog trying to shove their snout into your mouth!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ridgebackchat Forum Index -> On the sofa... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: